In last week’s blog, I opened conversation regarding the lifestyle choices that may be impacting your erectile health. If you missed Erection at Dysfunction Junction, or Lifestyle and Erection Dysfunction, you may read it here.
This week we are going to explore the primary treatment options available to men, both non-prescriptive and prescriptive.
When a man first begins to experience erectile changes, I will direct him to his primary care provider for a thorough physical examination. It is important for the man to be able to openly speak with his provider about the noted erectile changes, as his description will help directly the next steps for any indicated evaluation.
Unfortunately, only 25% of men who struggle with erectile dysfunction will seek professional help. In big math that means that out of about 30 million men in the US with erection worries, only 7.5 million will seek evaluation! What is holding the other 22.5 million men back? I believe there are a thousand reasons, but heading the list is embarrassment or worry over how to bring it up. I would love to coach you in this conversation!
Here are six gadgets and gizmos to support erection:
- Constriction Loops (aka cock ring). A loop works by slowing the blood flow out of the erect penis, allowing it to stay hard longer. It works best if you’re able to get a partial or full erection. Never leave it in place for more than 30 minutes without removing it for at least 15 minutes. Read more here.
- Penis/Pelvic Vibrators. Yes, I can feel some of you rolling your eyes, but hear me out! There are real erection benefits to exploring a vibrator! Vibration stimulates blood flow, stimulates pelvic nerves, and stimulates pelvic muscles! Tere are several male vibrators on the market for you to explore. I can happily guide you to products specific to your desires. Check out some of the different types of products available here.
- Prescription medication. There are basically 4 different oral medications that are most prescribed. The action of the medication is to dilate blood vessels and provide nitric oxide to facilitate an erection. These medications do require a health evaluation and prescription. They are safe for the majority of men. Approximately 70% of men who use erection medication appropriately will have improved strength of erection that lasts through a sexual experience. It often takes some experimenting to find the right timing and right dosage for each man. Again, I would love to coach you through this discovery journey.
- Penis Pump. This product creates a vacuum seal to draw blood into the penis. Once the penis is fully engorged, a constriction loop is applied to hold the blood in the penis. This type of product is good for penile rehabilitation efforts and for those who cannot take oral medication.
- Penile Injections. Again, the eyeball. Injection therapy is very effective for a high majority of men. A tiny needle is used to inject medication directly into the penile tissues. Typically, a man will have a strong erection within 10-15 minutes that will last for 30 minutes, or so. Of course, this requires a prescription, hands on teaching, and practice to master the technique. Penile injections are typically not introduced unless oral medications have proven unsuccessful.
- Penile Implants. Penile implants are devices surgically placed inside a penis to allow men with erectile dysfunction to get an erection. Penile implants are typically recommended after other treatments for erectile dysfunction fail.
Treatments for erectile dysfunction are readily available and easily accessible. Don’t waste one more day feeling intimidated about talking to a professional for evaluation, education and intervention. As a Registered Nurse, Certified Sexuality Counselor and Sex Educator, I can help you find comfort in the conversation with your provider and be a collaborative partner to seek the best treatment regimen for you.
As always, you can find out more information about Intimate Pathways Center for Sexual Health at our website www.intimatepathways.mhcstaging.com
If I can be of assistance to you, please take the opportunity to schedule a complimentary 15-minute telephone consultation.
Next week I will share a couple’s story of how erectile dysfunction can impact a committed relationship and how this couple fought back!